This recipe is the thirteenth in a 21-week series, The Feast of the Ages, developed to share our faith with our readers, realizing that as much as we love food, our faith is an even more important and bigger part of our lives. We thought it would be fun to bring the two together.
We offer shellfish for the 13th course:
Mediterranean Shrimp & Scallop Pot Pie
Yield: 4 servings of 1 Pot Pie per person
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stick butter
- 8 large scallops
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 4 canned artichoke hearts, quartered
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 can of 5 biscuits
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
*(Also need 4 8 to 10-ounce ramekins.)
- Preheat oven as indicated on can of biscuits.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, melt 1 stick of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat. Once butter is melted, add chopped onion and bell pepper.
- Saute until onion is translucent and bell pepper softens.
- Add 4 quartered artichoke hearts and 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes. Saute for approximately 1 minute.
- Add garlic and cup of sliced button mushrooms. Saute until soft.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth and turn heat to medium-low. Add basil, oregano and Old Bay seasoning. Simmer approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add heavy cream. Stir thoroughly. Turn temperature to low and retain at a slow simmer.
- Ladle 2 tablespoons of broth in the bottom of each ramekin. Place two shrimp and two scallops in each ramekin. Ladle simmering vegetables and broth into each ramekin over seafood, filling approximately 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of shredded Parmesan cheese on top of broth.
- Take 1 canned biscuit and stretch, using fingers, evenly until it will cover top of ramekin. Gently place biscuit on ramekin, covering completely.
- Place ramekins on baking sheet and bake in oven until biscuit is golden brown, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle each biscuit with more Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
*(You will be able to select from the following versions: English, Chinese-traditional characters, French, Japanese, Spanish, or Children’s — preferred by some adults due to its simple style.)