This recipe is The Lucky Wife’s favorite fruit salad and also a recipe that she came across in a previous work setting, so again, not sure of the original source. A quick internet search did turn up a similar recipe that included maraschino cherries, which would taste great with the other ingredients in this version.
Frog Eye Salad
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups pineapple juice (use from juice reserved from pineapples)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 16-ounce package acini de pepe
- 2 11-ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drain and reserve juice
- 2 20-ounce cans pineapple chunks, drain and reserve juice
- 1 9-ounce carton whipped cream
- marshmallows, coconut – optional (we did not use)
- Combine sugar and flour and gradually stir in pineapple juice and eggs.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened.
- Add lemon juice and cool mixture to room temperature.
- Cook acini de pepe according to package instructions. Drain, rinse, and cool to room temperature.
- Add egg mixture, mix lightly, and store in air tight container in refrigerator.
- Add remaining ingredients prior to serving. May be kept several days in refrigerator ahead of time.
2 stars – Surprise your neighbor
The Well-Fed Daughter (10 months old) – Mommy’s Baby Girl (5 Stars)
Find more great recipes with this one at Friday Potluck @ girlichef, This Week’s Cravings, Foodie Friday, Theme of the Month Recipe Round Up, Tip Me Tuesday, Today’s Creative Blog, Titus 2sday, Women Living Well Wednesdays, Sunday Showcase and: