EAT YOUR CARROTS!! Who didn’t hear that when they were seven? I did. And most of the time, I would. The old trick of feeding it to the dog under the table didn’t work for me because we did not have pets in the house. A dog’s place was in the yard.
Generally, carrots are a Ho-Hum vegetable. There is nothing exotic about them. Their claim to fame is being recognized as Bugs Bunny’s favorite food that he often kept in a cigar holder in the breast pocket of his “Suit”. Other than that, they are orange, sweet and extremely good for you.
I get sick of steamed carrots. I get tired sometimes of the carrots in pot roast. Sure, they are good, but one can only eat pot roast but so much. So I became determined to get some sort of cool variation going with them. This was the end result. I used to steam carrots and then toss them in butter. Good but boring. I then came up with idea of adding brown sugar to them to make “Sweet Carrots”. But being a foodie, I still wasn’t satisfied. Then I came up with the idea of a whiskey glaze. The sourness of the whiskey adds an interesting flavor to the sweetness of the brown sugar.
I don’t drink whiskey or any alcohol for that matter, but I love the flavor element spirits, beer and wine can add to a dish. So enjoy. And don’t worry……. you’d have to eat about 20 lbs of these to get a buzz.
- 1.5 pounds raw carrots (peeled and sliced into coins)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (we use Earth Balance soy-free dairy-free buttery spread)
- 1/2 ounce whiskey
- 1.4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Steam or boil raw carrots until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat large non-stick skillet (I use a 12-inch skillet) over medium heat. As pan is warming to temperature, add butter and oil. (NOTE: If you add butter to an already hot pan it will immediately turn brown and result in a scalded taste and terrible appearance. By adding the small amount of oil, you increase the smoke point of the fat in the butter and further prevent burning.)
- Immediately after butter/oil mixture is melted, add brown sugar. Using the back of a wooden spoon, spread brown sugar evenly in the butter.
- Add whiskey. As soon as whiskey is added, the pan will sizzle loudly.
- Add carrots and toss in glaze. Season with salt and remove from pan immediately.
Recipe URL: http://recipeseo.com/recipe/Jrjd5