Well…you guessed it, another variation of a classic to keep us in line with food sensitivities. We found a recipe a while back for lemon pepper shrimp over pasta. We loved it. After going on the elimination diet to pinpoint food sensitivities, two of the main ingredients in that dish were out. Lemon and Pepper. Shrimp boiled in plain salted water over plain pasta sounds yummy any day, right? Sure. So I did some brainstorming after looking at the list of foods that we could have unlimited amounts of at any time. I seem to have a habit of that.
I wanted citrus and I wanted a kick. I came up with this. I originally thought of having the base of the cooking liquid be chicken broth and just accent it with lime juice, but at the last minute I decided to be a purist and go with straight lime juice and garlic, with no diluting. Lime is not as pungent as lemon and I thought the chicken broth would cause the finished product to be weak in the flavor area. Also, the idea was for the pasta to be on the dryer side and not swimming in liquid. It was a hit. The Well-fed Son is a noodle nut….and shrimp is his favorite meat. There’s an automatic winner for you. The cool thing about this is we are keeping in line with a “clean diet” and not sacrificing one ounce of flavor. Enjoy.
- 1 8-ounce box spaghetti style pasta (can use wheat, whole grain, or rice pasta)
- 1 pound extra large, peeled, de-veined and tail-off shrimp (20 to 25-count)
- 5 fresh limes (cut in half)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- (to taste) salt
- Boil pasta until cooked, drain cooking liquid and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process. Place drained, cooled pasta in large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and coat pasta thoroughly. (This will prevent pasta from sticking together.)
- Heat large, non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add oil and garlic.
- Using a set of tongs, take a half of a lime and place between handle (V-shaped shaft). Grab the hinged end with one hand and the opened end with the other. Close the set of tongs, squeezing the lime half and releasing juice into skillet. Repeat process until 4 of the 5 limes have been juiced. Reserve the last lime. Saute garlic in lime juice for about one minute.
- Add shrimp. Saute shrimp until cooked. Season with salt to taste.
- Pour shrimp and broth over cooked pasta and combine thoroughly. Squeeze remaining lime over finished product. Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Recipe URL: http://recipeseo.com/recipe/w7YV5